Health Checks & Vaccinations
Your dog or cat can be expected to live between 10 – 18 years, and some live for even longer. Keeping them healthy throughout that time is important for their own wellbeing and enables you to enjoy pet ownership for their whole lives.
As pets age, just like humans, things change and different health concerns can arise.
With regular assessments including blood test we are able to detect early health changes and address ways of treatment before the condition deteriorates.
We encourage you to start home health checks early so your pet gets comfortable with having someone examine them.
- Touch their paws
- Run your hand down their spine to their tails
- Rub their bellies
- Play with their ears
- Lift their lips and examine their teeth
Reward their behaviour when they let you do these things.
- You can also check their gums for a nice pink colour and look at their teeth to assess if they are clean.
- Check their ears for strange smells or discharge, make sure they are not sore or red.
- When you run your hands over their bodies, check for any unusual lumps and bumps.
- For long haired dogs, check in-between their toes for grass seeds
We recommend you book an annual health check for your pet around their birthday so we can advise you of what to expect, address any concerns or issues you may have noticed as well as give you advice on diet, weight control, exercise and how you can help them continue to have a great quality of life.
During Annual Health Checks we will discuss preventative care too.
For dogs we will advise you regarding health checks, vaccinations, worming, heartworm and flea prevention.
For cats we can assist in vaccinations, health checks, flea prevention and worming.
For rabbits we can conduct general health checks, offering vaccination from as young as 10 weeks to protect them against calicivirus (also known as Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease).
Your pet may be unwell if they are:
- Have diarrhoea
- Are shaking or having tremors
- Not eating and drinking like they normally do
- Are stiff or not wanting to move around as usual
If your pet shows any of these signs, then please call us immediately to bring them in.
What to expect.
Book an Annual Health Check Appointment